146: Burning the first of the logging slash

Burning is hard work, especially when everything is green, cut only in November.  Saturday, I got up before dawn and ignited the first of the big piles, with the help of a neighbor who worked for years as a logger.  We used kerosene to light a hay bale and his Christmas tree, got a hot spot started, and then I cut and moved green wood into the belly of the beast for 12 hours without a break.  Got it done, but it was brutal labor.  Glad I wore all cotton instead of the usual capilene and synthetics -- one ember landed on my neck, resulting in a small second degree burn and a brief period of shock!








No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I use this blog to chronicle certain aspects of my life near the Smokies. I'm building a cabin. I kayak. Sometimes I bike.