81: Beams are up

Yesterday, I installed two top plate boards on top of the windowless side of the cabin.  These provide a solid, flat surface on which to rest the three beams that will span the interior and support the floor boards of our loft,  The perimeter beams are single, rough-sawn 2x6s and will be supported from the rafters above at intermediary points.  The center beam, covered by flooring, will have to work with no support between its ends, so I doubled it.  For now, you can look up from the outside and see their ends; later, I'll rip a log in half and cover them, so it'll blend right in...

I'm using hand tools again -- this saw belonged to my grandad!





No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I use this blog to chronicle certain aspects of my life near the Smokies. I'm building a cabin. I kayak. Sometimes I bike.