11: Anatomy of a floor...




Here's where I "cheated" -- I figure since we'll never see it again, treated floor joists and hangers, bolted to the outer logs with timber screws, will be solid and sound for a long, long time. I'll cover it with rough sawn pine planks for a subfloor, and then later I'll layer rough sawn oak for as a last, final phase, after we're done chinking, in the fall. After the subfloor, it'll be mostly hand tools!

I may get a small solar kit that comes off the roof and only provides a couple of lights and one outlet -- maybe drill the top-plate and logs vertically in a couple of places, as I lay them, before bolting them down? I'll research what the kit consists of...

Wonder how it would do in partial shade -- the left side of the cabin faces west and gets OK sun in the winter and spotty sun in the summer. I'm not cutting the massive oak and other hardwoods that block some of the direct light...

For heat, I'm thinking more on the lines of this for winter cabin-time: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10210207_325003002_325000000_325003000?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

And I'll build a small tank cabinet outside the cabin so that I can just turn off the gas and stick a padlock on the door. Maybe a bench cabinet inside for the unit itself and anything else I want to keep locked up (a cabin needs to have a small supply of good single malt). And smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I use this blog to chronicle certain aspects of my life near the Smokies. I'm building a cabin. I kayak. Sometimes I bike.