97: Second floor!

Ralph sold me enough rough-sawn 1x12 to build a second floor, so I nailed it down perpendicular to the existing one, after first laying felt paper to eliminate drafts and serve as a vapor barrier. Then, I tried a first coat of semi-transparent, oil-based stain on the exterior.

 Notice the difference between the right side and the left side on this first picture:

I'll stain the rest of it, and stain the floor next!

Very soon, I'll build screen windows and finish caulking and staining the cabin.  Add a wooden loft ladder, battery lanterns, a door latch, a storage box/seat/bed, and some simple landscaping, and it'll be ready to go!

I'm thinking about camping with the boys in the cabin before the summer gets hot (of course, we only get about 4 or 5 weeks of over-80 degree weather up at our shady holler elevation).

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I use this blog to chronicle certain aspects of my life near the Smokies. I'm building a cabin. I kayak. Sometimes I bike.